Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Rick Goes to Big 10 Football



Ohio State has some serious fans.

My son told me two years ago that he wanted a different experience for his graduate school. I asked "why would you want to experience anything east of the Rockies?" He is now finishing his last year of his MBA program at Purdue University. When he first called me to tell me he had been accepted to Purdue I said "now you can get me into the Notre Dame football game I've always wanted to see." While discussing the schedule it was determined I would have to go out the weekend of the Ohio State game. I have season tickets to UNR and love to catch a tailgate party when I can. Steven assured me that what goes on the day of a Big 10 game is nothing like UNR. He was right. Starting at 9:00 AM they have the breakfast club. I am so glad none of my kids are part of this breakfast club. They dress up and drink their breakfast. They restricted the tailgate parking so it could not start until 1:00 PM because this game was going to be a late ESPN 8:00 PM. In the Big 10 the people drink all they can before the game as they don't allow beer sales in the stadium. UNR fans are complaining that they stop selling beer after half time. I have great seats at the UNR games, we are almost on the 50 yard line and we only stand up for kick offs and big plays. At this game we only sat down during half time. Unless you like seeing lower portion of bodies and getting no fresh air, sitting is not an option. The electricity is felt before you're in the stadium and it never stops. The band is huge and when they go on the field, they fill the entire field. The volume of noise vibrates your ears at times. There are the usual beach balls being hit around the stadium and a few other objects that you just don't want to touch let alone hit. You know you have had a great experience when your team loses 23-7, you get a phone call that your UNR lost 49-41, the crowd is huge and never ending when you leave and still you think to your self, that was a fun night. My thanks go to my son for being brave and smart enough to get accepted so that he could go east. Because he did this,I got to experience something new and yes it was exciting.

Of course visiting his family and seeing the grandson would have been enough without the game.

1 comment:

Steve and Katrina said...

Thank you for coming. We had a great time. Now you will have to come to Charlotte sometime and experience SEC or ACC football, may we can go see what 85,000 fans are like in Clemson.